D. Michael Costello, CPA, ABV, ASA, CFF, CFE
Mike has more than 30 years’ experience in business valuations, forensic accounting, business acquisitions and divestitures, exit planning and related fields. His experience includes extensive consulting work and testimony in tax, accounting, financial, economic and business issues of complex commercial litigation, with emphasis on business valuation, economic damage and forensic accounting issues.
Mike provides expert testimony in lost profits, fraud, bankruptcy, patents and licenses, personal injury, wrongful death, wrongful termination litigation and marital dissolution. He is qualified to serve as an expert witness in U.S. District Courts, Circuit Courts, and Chancery Courts. He has been appointed by the Hamilton County (Tenn.) Circuit Court as a Special Master and as a Custodian to liquidate a business; by the Hamilton County Chancery Court as a Custodian/Receiver to manage and sell a medical practice; and by a Federal Bankruptcy Trustee to sell a business. Mike's appraisals have been used in various courts and in connection with buy-and-sell transactions between corporate shareholders. He also serves as adjunct faculty at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
Education, Credentials and Special Training
- Certified Public Accountant
- Accredited in Business Valuation
- Accredited Senior Appraiser, Business Valuation
- Certified in Financial Forensics
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Series 63, 7, 79 & 24 Securities Licenses
- Master of Accountancy, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- American Society of Appraisers
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- “Survive Any Daubert Challenge with This 13-Point Checklist,” BVR Daubert Challenges Special Report, August 2014.